Challenges are a special player-versus-AI skirmish game mode introduced in version 3.3.
Challenges pits one or two players (either one human and one AI or two humans) alone against three AI enemies that start with a large base and violate certain rules of the game (most often capable of building stolen tech units). Challenge maps are made with an "uncontrolled difficulty mindset" so the gameplay will be asymmetrical.
Challenge maps use standard skirmish settings, which allows the handicap to be changed through the difficulty option and for the Mental AI Boost to be enabled. In all challenges, there are eight money crates, one Tech Field Hospital, one Tech Machine Shop, a few Tech Oil Derricks and tech defences near the players' base.
Note that the following settings are enforced by the client:
- Building off ally bases, naval combat, Superweapons and Stolen Tech Units are enabled.
- Ally Change Ingame is disabled.
- If the enemy in a challenge is a specific subfaction, that subfaction cannot be chosen by players.
- The colour used by the enemy is not selectable by players.
- Spectators are not allowed.
- Superweapons are refected to on only for the Superweapon Challenge (for 3.3, 3.3.2 and beyond), formerly all of them in 3.3.1.
Player vs Subfaction
- Main article: Freedom Challenge
- Main article: Timekiller Challenge
- Main article: Regenbogen Challenge
Head to the artificial Regenbogen island where the Pacific Front commanders can control the weather itself to cause a random, adverse effect for you and your co-commander, if you have. Get an umbrella ready!
- Main article: Battlecity Challenge
- Main article: Moltencore Challenge
- Main article: Purgatory Challenge
- Main article: Contagion Challenge
Fight against Scorpion Cell forces using whatever toxin weaponry they can throw at you at their disposal. The sickness may be contagious and deadly, but prevention is better than cure, right?
- Main article: Ascension Challenge
The Epsilon Headquarters proselytes are expanding their Antarctic bases and make their superior genetically altered soldiers a threat to the world. Even worse, their entire air armada is coming to reinforce their positions. Do you think you can stop them before it's too late?
- Main article: Madness Challenge
One M.A.D.M.A.N. may be problematic enough for an average commander, but more than one of them is just way too much to bear! This is madness! Madness? This is Mental Omega!
- Main article: Ouroboros Challenge
One Plasmerizer may be difficult to break through, but how if there are more of them?! As if it wasn't enough, the enemy Bastion commanders are also capable of producing multiple Boidmachines at the same time!
Player vs Faction
- Main article: Revolution Challenge
Face all three Soviet subfactions sending everything they can throw at you, including nuclear-armed Kirov Airships and Topol-Ms! Jeez, did they think that their toys, especially the Tactical Nukes, aren't strong enough?!
- Main article: Deception Challenge
- Main article: Endurance Challenge
Fight against three Foehn commanders from all three subfactions with a twist – every structure is fortified with advanced nanocoat technology and the units are recovering often with nanites! This will really test your stamina.
- Main article: Watercube Challenge
Fight against three enemy commanders with huge naval bases while your base is merely a tiny little island. What do you prefer, sink or swim?
- Main article: Superweapon Challenge
- Main article: Heavyobject Challenge
Fight against three enemy commanders who have constructed a massive stronghold with only a single entrance defended with the heaviest fortification ever seen in the war. Now that's really an impenetrable fortress.