The Mercury Uplink establishes a connection with the Mercury Satellite that orbits the Earth. This allows an American commander to fire its powerful laser beam anywhere on the battlefield without requiring the use of ground-based designator units like the Athena. Additionally, the Mercury Uplink acts as the technology expander for the United States, unlocking additional weapons and further options in the tech tree.
The construction of the Mercury Uplink grants the United States commander access to the following support powers:
|Mercury Strike||The Mercury Strike fires a laser beam from the Mercury satellite in space that is particularly effective against infantry and light vehicles, though less so against heavier targets. Nearby Athena Cannons gain a damage boost to their weapons after the strike. Mercury Strike costs $800 and takes 6:00 to recharge.|
|Target Painter||The Target Painter calls the Mercury satellite to "paint" enemies in a target area, improving Allied units' accuracy when targeting "painted" enemies, temporarily making them more vulnerable to attacks. Target Painter has no cost but takes 4:30 to recharge.|
It's important to note that this building not only provides access to Tier 2 units, but provides United States specific Tier 3 units with the Tech Center, sans the Spy and Barracuda. This means that just like the Tech Center, it's imperative that US commanders protect this building after its construction as they will lose almost all their unique units and the majority of their advanced tech, especially since this building has less overall health than its Tier three counterpart.
- The Mercury Uplink held by Pacific Front is the target of Death From Above and must be destroyed by the player-controlled Latin Confederation. It is significantly more durable than normal Mercury Uplinks, capable of surviving a direct Tactical Nuke.
- The Mercury Uplink becomes buildable in Obstinate. In this mission, it unlocks the Prism Tank (in place of the Shield Command), but doesn't grant access to Mercury Strike, Target Painter or the Athena Cannon.
- In Ghost Hunt, the Mercury Uplink still does not grant access to the Mercury Strike and Target Painter, and only unlocks the Athena Cannon in conjunction with both the Tech Center and the Research Dome, which starts off in Scorpion Cell hands until captured by the player.
- The Mercury Uplink is buildable and becomes fully operational in Insomnia.
Behind the scenes
- In 3.0 the Mercury Uplink was a supplementary superweapon of the United States, unlocked by the Tech Center and is limited to one per player.