|“|| I got what you need, and if I don't, I will...!|
- A Saboteur reassures that he will get something useful
The Saboteur's main role is espionage, stealing important intelligence from enemy labs and facilities. Able to disguise himself as enemy infantry and slip past defenses, he is similar in that aspect to an Allied Spy. There is one major difference between the Saboteur and your regular espionage agent.
The Saboteur wears a vest with a low-yield nuclear bomb embedded within. The bomb's trigger is connected to a small heart rate monitor, which detonates the bomb when the Saboteur's heart stops. This results in a localized explosion when the Saboteur is discovered and killed, either grievously wounding or killing the attacker.
Serving as the Soviet's main espionage unit, the Saboteur's main purpose is to infiltrate enemy bases providing substantial benefits. Like other espionage units, they can disguise themselves to what infantry the commander needs in order to slip past enemy lines. Employing Borillos and Halftracks/Tigr APCs are recommended to ensure the safety of the Saboteurs, as these transports are armed and can deal with the Saboteur's common countermeasure, Attack Dogs and Spooks, easily.
As with other espionage infantries, the Saboteur can enter an enemy building but the effects will vary depending on the building:
- Barracks: All infantry will be trained as veteran.
- War Factory: All War Factory units will be produced as veteran.
- Radar: Battlefield will be reshrouded for the radar's owner.
- Power Plant: Owner's power will be shut down for 1:30 (2:00 for Nuclear Reactors).
- Ore Refinery: Steal $5000 from the refinery's owner.
- Ecobooster: Can see owner's money count.
- Laboratory: Partial prerequisite for additional technology will be unlocked.
- Superweapon/support power structure: Resets the countdown of the superweapon/support powers.
- Construction Yard: Can see the owner's power count. Also partial prerequisite for Stolen Tech units to be unlocked.
- Can disguise himself as an enemy infantry unit and infiltrate enemy buildings, giving an advantage over the enemy.
- A successful infiltration into the enemy's tech lab can unlock stolen tech units, and potentially change the game's outcome.
- Using transports can help Saboteurs travel across difficult obstacles and save time.
- Explodes when killed, injuring or killing the attacker.
- Very fragile.
- Mediocre speed.
- Dogs, Spooks, Clairvoyants, Robot Tanks, Terror Drones, Fury Drones, Chitzkoi, Stingers, Roadrunners and Soviet Sensor Towers can detect disguised Saboteurs.
- Even without being detected, it can still be crushed by enemy miners or tanks (without causing an explosion).
- If detected by an enemy commander, any unit can be ordered to kill the Saboteur.
- A lot of micromanagement is required to guide him safely into the enemy base.
- Walls are obstacles for keeping out Saboteurs from infiltrating structures.
The Saboteur is voiced by De'Lante Capers (previously credited as Rhys_Dallows).
- Whom should we steal from?
- We take what the people need.
- I got what you need, and if I don't, I will...!
- Their systems are open to me.
When ordered to move
- It shall happen.
- I will go and take a look.
- I see no better way.
- One-way ticket.
- Our mission continues...
When ordered to disguise
- They will suspect nothing!
- I know their methods.
- They shall welcome me as one of their own.
- The role of a lifetime!
When ordered to infiltrate structures
- Their security is a joke.
- This seems to be important.
- Uh, a little bit from here, a little bit from there...
- They have something for me.
- Ah, there it is!
When under fire
- You don't want to do this.
- I've been discovered!
- Get me out of here!
- The Saboteur's death cries are used from the Saboteur in Generals Zero Hour.
- In 3.0, the Saboteur left radiation along with the explosion when killed, which made it deadlier against Attack Dogs and other detectors that were not immune to the radiation; that feature was removed as it made the Saboteur immune to radiation and that was deemed overpowered.
- In 2.0, the Saboteur previously uses the voiceset of GLA Saboteur in Command & Conquer Generals: Zero Hour.