|“|| Sending airmail!|
- Scud Launcher
The Scud Launcher is a loading and launching platform for tactical ballistic missiles. As is customary of Soviet combat philosophy, firepower and armor are emphasized with this powerful siege engine, making it one of the most dangerous long ranged threats on the battlefield. A direct hit from a Scud Launcher will cause even the sturdiest of buildings to collapse into a pile of rubble.
Unfortunately, due to the relatively slow speed of the projectile, the missile can be shot down by anti-aircraft defenses. Another drawback is that even though the Scud Launcher is one of the heaviest armored artillery units, it is still vulnerable to enemy fire and should not be left undefended.
The Scud Launcher is a major improvement from vanilla Red Alert 2's V3 Launcher; despite its increased cost and tech level (from $800/Tech 2 to $1400/Tech 3), the Scud Launcher boasts more hit points and range. The Scud Launcher's rocket speed is vastly increased and rocket launch time is reduced as well.
The Scud Launcher boasts incredibly long range which can outrange any buildings and base defenses, save the Plasmerizer. Its Scud Rockets travel at high speed and hard to intercept by AA weapons, while a single hit can pulverize even the sturdiest buildings to collapse into a pile of rubble. A group of 4 Scud Launchers can destroy almost any building and defenses in one volley. The Scud Launcher is among the best siege units in the game, though still inferior than seaborne siege weapons.
With average armor and hit points, the Scud Launcher has no way to defend itself other than crushing infantry. Escorts such as Wolfhounds and Tesla Cruisers are therefore necessary. Its Scud Rocket can be intercepted in mid air, rendering it useless against heavy AA unless massed.
- The Scud Launcher makes its first appearance in Bleed Red, at the beginning of the Third World War. In this mission, all Scud Launchers are controlled by the player's AI ally; it does not become playable and buildable until Idle Gossip.
- In Thread of Dread, nine Scud Launchers are given to bolster the player's Latin Confederation forces.
- In Earthrise, Scud Launchers' missiles can travel farther and faster on the Moon than on Earth, due to the Moon's lower gravity.
- Let's keep our distance.
- Rockets fueled and ready.
- Ready for launch.
- Armed for destruction.
When ordered to move
- Moving to new launch site.
- Not too close please.
- Advancing to new location.
When ordered to attack
- Sending airmail!
- Trajectory set.
- We have ignition.
- Warhead primed.
- Missile launch confirmed!
- In Mental Omega v2.0, the Scud Launcher used the same voice set as the Scud Launcher from Command & Conquer: Generals.